It’s that time of year again; the leaves are turning, the temperature is just right for a light jacket, and football playoffs are drawing near. Fall is back in our great state. So while the temperature is still nice and the fall foliage is still on your trees, take some time to prepare your home now.
- Have your furnace or chimney cleaned – It’s been awhile since you’ve had to light any fires or turn on the heat, but soon those cold temperatures will be back. Have a qualified technician come in and check it out. Don’t forget to change your furnace filter too!
- Check for roof damage – Now is the time to see the damage before it’s covered up by ice, snow, and whatever Oklahoma weather throws at us.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts – Don’t let that debris clutter up. It could cause bigger damage later on.
- Double check your caulk – Check for caulk corrosion around doors and windows to make sure there’s not deterioration. Also, check around showers, bathtubs, sinks, and toilets to make they are all seal accordingly. With cold temperatures, bugs love to find any path into a warm space.
- Clean out the clothes dryer exhaust duct and area beneath the dryer – Remove any fire hazard by removing all lint, dust, and pieces of material that may have made its way down there.
- Exam your electrical outlets for any wear and tear or potential fire hazards. Frayed wires or ill-fitting plugs can all be red flags.
- Update your fire extinguisher – Make sure your fire extinguisher is still up to date. Not to mention, some companies offer a discount just for having one.
- Inspect your smoke detectors – Check all the batteries and make sure there is at least one on each floor of your home.
If you have questions regarding your insurance, ECI is always here.Contact us for a Oklahoma City homeowners insurance quote.