It’s one of the most fun (and hottest) holidays of the year in just a few days. The 4th of July is here, baby! Late night explosions that awake you in terror to question whether the 3rd world war has started and watching as human beings dip hot dogs in water in order to claim “World Hot Dog Eating Champion” are just a few traditions that America has adopted while we celebrate our independence. This is America
- Cooking Fires – fires. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated $77 million in damage occurred on July 4th and 5th in 2015. Cooking fires can be hazardous when caused by grills and smokers, but so are charcoal ashes, children playing with fire, bonfires or other open fires that quickly get out of control.
- These claims often hit an individual’s homeowner’s policy, but if bodily injury occurs it could also hit your health insurance policy.
- Car Accidents – Independence Day is also a prime time for car crashes. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has deemed July 4th as the deadliest day to drive for the year, “…between 2007 and 2011, over 670 people were killed in automobile accidents on July 4th.” It’s an awful reality, but more people will die in a car crash on July 4th than any other day of the year, even more than New Years Eve. The increase for July 4th is attributed to drunk drivers and distracted teen drivers.
- Fireworks – Many people think that this would be the most common, but it comes in at #3. Even professionals can cause accidents, and especially for a backyard fireworks display without necessary precautions.
- The U.S. Fire Administration states, “Each year, between 8,000 and 9,000 individuals require emergency room treatment for fireworks-related injuries.” We’ve all seen the YouTube videos of people’s display gone wrong. Fireworks can be costly and even deadly, so extreme caution should be used during festivities.
- Boating – Lastly, boating accidents are a typical claim on Independence Day. Every year there are around 8,000 boating accidents on July 4th. Common boating accidents occur from intoxicated drivers and firework mishaps off boats or docks. Be prepared for this weekend and ensure your boat insurance policy is up to date.
Kick back, grab a drink, and enjoy this Independence Day without the aliens. From our ECI family to yours we wish you all a safe and fun filled 4th of July.