Your home is your safe place. It’s where you go to relax and unwind. Yet, when someone breaks into your home, you may feel violated—especially if you’ve lost a great deal of your belongings in the process. While your home insurance can help you to recoup some of the financial loss suffered in a break in, you still may need to take steps to improve the safety of your home so you can feel more confident about living there.
There are various ways to add security to your home. Depending on your budget, your home’s specific risks and your overall goals, you may want to consider any of these options for upgrading your home’s security.
- Replace all of your home’s door locks on a routine basis. If you’ve given the key to anyone, it pays to replace those locks every few years or whenever you want to prevent someone from coming into the home.
- Install deadbolts. All of the exterior doors to your home should have deadbolts in place because these offers far more protection than traditional door locks.
- Consider the addition of smart home features. For example, adding a video monitoring system to your front door can allow you to remotely monitor your home when someone arrives and rings the doorbell. With an app on your phone, you can see who is around your home.
- A home security system is another opportunity to add security. You can choose the type and level of protection right for you, but home monitoring systems are ideally suited for protecting you. Plus, these systems can often help you save on home insurance costs.
- Consider adding exterior lighting including motion lighting. This can help to deter would-be thieves who do not want to get caught in the light.
Ultimately, adding security to your home can help you to feel safer, especially when it comes to protecting your family. In some situations, it can even help to reduce your home insurance costs.
Is your house safe? Call ECI Insurance Agency at (405) 373-2977 for more information on Oklahoma City home insurance.