It’s almost here. You’ve survived almost all of the Christmas parties this season, that extra five pounds from all the Christmas candy should keep you a little bit warmer, and the procrastinators of the world are ready to get down to the gift buying business…tomorrow. It seems like the month of December always flies by with all the activities and lists to get done. By the time it’s all said and done, most of us are just plain worn out. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but sometimes we all get so busy, it’s hard to stop and enjoy it. The in-laws are almost here, you forgot to thaw the turkey, or my personal favorite, it’s your first Christmas married and the pressure to impress has got ya a little cranky. Whatever the reason, it is almost impossible to unwind. We all need a little help from time to time so in the midst of chaos, here’s a few things to do in order to make it through and relax:
- Get Your Workout On – If Legally Blonde taught me anything, it’s definitely this important lesson- “Exercise produces endorphins; endorphins make you happy. Happy people don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t!” It’s important not to kill your husband or children during this happy time.
- Plan Ahead – …and I’m not talking about your schedule for the day of. Plan for the day after. It’s easy to fill up your schedule with all the great after Christmas deals, but what if instead you planned a relaxing massage, pedicure, or facial. Unwinding is as good for the soul as chicken noodle soup is.
- Laugh a Little…Or A lot –Whoever said laughter is the best medicine knew what they were talking about. Scientifically it’s proven that it reduces stress hormones which in turn will help immune cells function better. You owe it to yourself to let loose and crack up.
- Take A Moment – Whether your kids are little or this is their last Christmas before they leave for college, it all goes by in a blur. Stop and take a moment to take it all in before it passes you by. It’s easy to forget the reason for the season. Enjoy every moment.
- Unplug – Turn off your email, ignore that text. It’s the one time of the year you can actually get away with it. It’s proven that our phone alerts keep our bodies in a state of fight or flight due to the adrenaline kicks it causes. Be present. I promise, there is nothing on Facebook that is so important that it can’t wait till tomorrow.
Drink up that eggnog, dominate your dirty Santa, and always hug your parents or grandparents a little longer. Send a little thank you up above for the reason we celebrate and the joy we get to experience because of it. From our ECI family to yours, we wish you the merriest of Christmases!