Whether you own a restaurant or an office building, no one wants to use a poorly-maintained restroom.
If your restroom is not well-kept, you raise a risk of illness and injury to patrons and employees. If you neglect your restrooms, you could damage your property and potentially injure others.
If your restroom conditions aren’t properly maintained, then you can even face insurance risks. If a person suffers an injury in a business’ restroom, they might sue for medical bills or other damages.
Proper business liability coverage, including workers’ compensation coverage can help you protect your business if a bathroom accident occurs. However, these policies may not cover you if you have neglected the restroom. Neglect may cause the insurance to deny you a payout.
Here are some ways to keep risks down in your business’ restrooms.
Maintain the Bathroom
Restroom maintenance is an important part of business safety. Pipes can leak, toilets can crack, and other appliances may also cause injury. In these cases, the risk of a victim claiming damages is possible. Here are some ways to make sure that you maintain the restroom.
- Make sure that pipes are not leaking. Leaks increase fall risks. Isolate and repair leaks quickly. Make sure a professional repairs the leaks. A professional can check for residual damages that the leaking water caused.
- Mop up spills and other accidents at least once per day. Place wet floor signs around leaks or damp floors.
- Make sure that appliances like hand dryers function properly. These electronics exist in a place where there are high concentrations of electrical conductors. Electricity in these areas raises the risk of fires and electrocution.
- Check for electrical shorts or broken or exposed wires.
- Clean the restroom. Most jurisdictions have laws that require restroom cleanliness for public restrooms. However, you want to do everything you can to make sure that you surpass these requirements.
It is always a good idea to make sure that no one gets sick or hurt because you fail to properly maintain your business’ bathroom. Business insurance can help you if an accident does occur. However, you want to make sure that you don’t purposely neglect a risk.
Your business insurance policy likely covers some risks associated with a company’s bathroom. However, the responsibility for the accident and degree of coverage can vary. If you have questions about your coverage, call us today at (405) 373-2977 for a Oklahoma City business insurance quote.